Good evening everyone!! This past weekend, I completed my first DIY fashion clothing project: DIY Dip-Dyed/Ombre shorts. I read a couple instructions of how to do this online. But I didn't really measure anything. Like how many cups of water, bleach or dye to put in, I just used my eyes and determined what was enough.
Below are pictures and instructions of how to complete your own DIY Project
1. A bucket (maybe 2)
3. Rubber gloves
4. RIT fabric dye (choose any color)
What to do:
1. Fill the bucket with boiling/hot water
(fill it only a couple inches. maybe 1 or 2 depending what length you want to dye the shorts)
2. Add bleach. Maybe 2 cups?
(*Warning* too little bleach, too much water = longer for color to dye)
3. Dip the shorts in the bleach mixture to make them lighter
(Process will depend on the amount of bleach and water ratio. This may take a couple minutes)
4. When you're done bleaching the shorts to your desired color, dip them in another bucket filled with cold water to stop the bleaching process and get the bleach out.
At this stage you have completed your Dip-Dyed/Ombre shorts!!!
The next step (5) is optional...Adding color
5. In a separate bucket, fill it with hot water and the fabric dye. Fill it only an inch or 2 of the bucket. You don't need to put too much dye. A couple of drops will do.
6. Dip the shorts into the colored dye, wait a couple seconds and then you're done!!!!
Hang your newly made colored shorts to dry and in a couple hours, you'll have a new pair of shorts you made yourself :]
This is a super easy project. It just takes a lot of time and preparation. Hope you guys have fun with this! It's a fun summer arts and crafts project to do.